Happy childhood memories are those that include wonderful sensory experiences like baking and decorating gingerbread and is one of the reasons I created the acclaimed gingerbread house advent calendars (Kalenderhaus Klassic and KalenderHaus II).
For each of my decorative biscuit kits I use biscuits from Honeywell Bakery; their biscuits are sublime in taste and I love seeing what wonderful creations they make in their bakery. Their biscuits always deliver on taste and style! When I'm making my own biscuits ar home, I always pull out the same recipe that I have been using for years. It's one I found in a Not on the High Street catalogue years ago when creating biscuit kits wasn't even a seed (well not that I knew of!). It wasn't until after working with Honeywell that I realised it was one of their recipes! It's the best recipe I know and I adapt it for the summer by taking out the ginger and treacle and replacing with vanilla and more golden syrup.
Honeywell's Gingerbread Recipe
210 g Light Brown Sugar
3 tbsp Black Treacle
3 tbsp Golden Syrup
5 tbsp Water
3 tbsp Powdered Ginger
3 tbsp Cinnamon
250g Diced Butter
600 g Plain Flour
1 tsp Bicarbonate Soda
1. Turn the oven on to 160 C and line a baking tray with grease-proof paper. Put the sugar, treacle, syrup, water and spices into a saucepan and heat stirring as you go until it comes to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter until well combined. Add the bicarbonate of soda and stir through. Now leave to cool.
2. Mix the flour into the butter mixture and work into a dough. Wrap it in clingfilm and pop it in the fridge for an hour.
3. Roll out the dough between 2 sheets of grease-proof paper to a thickness of roughly 0.5 cm.
4. Cut out your shapes and place on the baking tray and pop back into the fridge for 30 minutes or into the freezer for 10 minutes (this stops the biscuits from growing in the oven).
5. Now bake in the oven for 10 minutes, allow to cool, decorate and enjoy!